Awards are for Members only!
Latest News Updates:
- Recognising the excellence of Travel Industry professionals
- ASATA Diners Club Award winners announced
- Winner's commitment to travel industry [PDF]
- ASATA Awards Winner: Tomorrow's Leader
- ASATA Diners Club Award Winners [PDF]
- Meet all the Finalists face-to-face
- ASATA Diners Club Awards Finalists announced [PDF]
- This is it. Nominations close today!
- Your industry needs YOUR input!
- Are you a winner? You could be ...
- Nominations pouring in [PDF]
- Spotlight on winners at WTM London [PDF]
- Time to nominate or be nominated!
Looking back on 2014:
- 2014 Awards winners
- 2014 Awards evening
- Travel industry honours achievers [PDF]
- 2014 Awards finalists announced [PDF]
Looking back on 2013:
Awards are for Members only!
01 March 2014 | ASATA
Tomorrow’s Leader award: The travel industry continues to seek young people who prefer the travel industry as their career of choice. This special award is aimed at young up-and-coming potential leaders who show an interest in issues that influence the future of travel and can fly the flag for aspiring Young Professionals in Travel.
1. What are your goals regarding your career in the travel industry?
I have been in travel since 2001, when I started as a receptionist at a Youth/Student travel agency in Cape Town. I have enjoyed my transition from consulting to marketing/design as it has allowed me to explore the psychology behind ‘why/where/how’ people travel. I see myself as an integral part of Club Travel’s growth into the corporate markets both locally and into Africa. I enjoy the fast-paced, ever-changing impact that social media is playing in the travel industry and my goal is to effectively guide Club Travel ‘with the wave’.
2. What are the highlights of your career?
I received the Exceptional Employee of the Year award at Club Travel’s National Conference in 2013. I designed our new corporate identity when we rebranded our company in 2014. It’s a proud feeling stepping out of the elevators at our head office to see the five-metre wide new logo that I designed.
3. Tell us a bit about your family life...
I am happily single with no children. I have a wonderfully close-knit family, amazing friends and awesome colleagues, with whom I spend a great deal of my time.
4. Are your hobbies linked to your career or vastly different?
I am a musician at heart. I write, play and record all my own music and play guitar, piano and pennywhistle. I also do a lot of vocal work and collaborations with DJs and producers from all over the globe. I was signed to British-based Media Agency, Emerge Media, in 2013. They distribute and promote my music to independent channels internationally. I also enjoy photography. To relax I like nothing more than spending time in my garden and ‘faffing’ over my collection of succulents.
5. What is your favourite travel destination, locally and internationally?
I love India! I find the complete assault on the senses to be so exhilarating and find the people of India inspirational. Locally, I enjoy exploring the small dorpies dotted throughout South Africa. I try to go on at least one local road trip each year.
6. What is your favourite type of getaway?
My favourite is one that includes museums and the cultural sites of a destination. I’m at my happiest in a pyramid, a tomb, a mosque or a museum.
7. What is your most important piece of travel advice?
I live by the rule “Take half the amount of clothes and double the amount of spending money!”
8. Why do you love working in the travel industry?
You get to work with people’s dreams … You get to ‘speak’ to the little voice in someone’s head that has been begging them to visit New York City in the ‘fall’ or sunbathe on that beach in Thailand their whole lives. It’s also an industry that is ever-changing, fast-paced, full of thrills and that keeps you on your toes. I have been with Club Travel for 6 years now and I have yet to experience a dull moment!
PHONE: +27 11 293-0560/1
P O Box 650539,
Suite 6, Lower Ground Floor, Block A,
Hurlingham Office Park, 59 Woodlands Avenue,
(just off Republic Road), Hurlingham Extension 5,
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.