Awards are for Members only!
Latest News Updates:
- Recognising the excellence of Travel Industry professionals
- ASATA Diners Club Award winners announced
- Winner's commitment to travel industry [PDF]
- ASATA Awards Winner: Tomorrow's Leader
- ASATA Diners Club Award Winners [PDF]
- Meet all the Finalists face-to-face
- ASATA Diners Club Awards Finalists announced [PDF]
- This is it. Nominations close today!
- Your industry needs YOUR input!
- Are you a winner? You could be ...
- Nominations pouring in [PDF]
- Spotlight on winners at WTM London [PDF]
- Time to nominate or be nominated!
Looking back on 2014:
- 2014 Awards winners
- 2014 Awards evening
- Travel industry honours achievers [PDF]
- 2014 Awards finalists announced [PDF]
Looking back on 2013:
Awards are for Members only!
01 March 2014 | ASATA
Leisure Consultant in a Travel Agency award: The leisure consultant has to be truly versatile and have an extensive knowledge of the numerous travel options available in the market, from Cape Town to Kathmandu, beach or bush break, exotic islands and adventure holidays, this consultant keeps the client excited about their dream holiday and must deliver on the client's hopes - not always an easy task.
1. What are your goals regarding your career in the travel industry?
I am a senior leisure travel consultant and I have been in the travel industry for 19 years. My goals are to give the best possible service to my clients in order for them to have an amazing experience and to have them return to me, time and time again, to do their leisure travel arrangements.
2. What are the highlights of your career?
My highlights are that I have been able to travel the world, experiencing many different destinations and cultures, and being able to bring that back to my clients, passing on my experiences to give them a very personalised service.
3. Tell us a bit about your family life...
I have been married for 16 years and have two beautiful daughters aged 10 and 12.
4. Are your hobbies linked to your career or vastly different?
My hobbies are reading, travelling and short road trips. Every Saturday my family and I pack our cooler boxes and go for day trips in different directions to experience our country.
5. What is your favourite travel destination, locally and internationally?
Locally: Franschhoek is the most beautiful village in the world.
Internationally: Barra in Mozambique – I love the long stretches of beach and beautiful ocean and especially the quietness.
6. What is your favourite type of getaway?
I love visiting the cities of Europe, especially walking through them, where old meets new and modern.
7. What is your most important piece of travel advice?
Make sure you have a valid passport and always take out travel insurance.
8. Why do you love working in the travel industry?
I love making my client’s dream holidays come to life and ensuring that after many hours of research, planning and consultation, they are very happy with the end result. I also find that every client is different and I meet new and interesting people every day.
9. What does your typical day at work look like?
My typical day involves consulting with clients, preparing involved itineraries, finding the best deal for the client, finalising documentation, processing visa applications, training sessions (which we have every week), and reading up on online updates of new products/destinations/fares etc.
10. What is your one tip on what it takes to be successful in the travel industry?
My one tip is to love what you do and be enthusiastic about every booking, whether it is Cape Town or Bora Bora.
PHONE: +27 11 293-0560/1
P O Box 650539,
Suite 6, Lower Ground Floor, Block A,
Hurlingham Office Park, 59 Woodlands Avenue,
(just off Republic Road), Hurlingham Extension 5,
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.